Monday, December 3, 2012

Oily Solutions: Oily Skin

Crappy title, I know.  Trust me, I've thought of worse ones.

So... oils for oily skin.  Kinda sounds icky and redundant.  I know you're about to close this window but bear with me for a minute as I try to explain why this is good for you.

The skin is one of the smartest organs in your body, not to mention one of the largest because it covers you head to toe.  In order to preserve it's elasticity (see? your skin is actually fighting for your youth) your skin needs to be moisturized and one way it does so is to release oil that will lock in or seal the moisture.  So you see, oily skin is a defense mechanism that your skin uses to avoid it being dry.  So when you take out too much oil by washing your face with harsh products or using harsh astringents, you're actually begging for your skin to produce more oil.  See how smart your skin is?  When you take out something (le oil), it not only replaces it but produces more of it to compensate for the loss.  So now the solution is not to take out the oil in your face but to replace out with another oil that can hydrate your skin, keep dirt at bay and not cause you to break out.

Enter the Grapeseed oil.  I have done research on this and many other people say other different things.  But I found this gem and read up (a lot!) on it and now I have something to share with you on why I think this is the most ideal for oily skin.

First, of course, it's available locally.  You can go online and find resellers in multiply or sulit.  You can also try going to the Generics Pharmacy and ask if they have grapeseed oil gel capsules.  That should cost you about Php350.00 to Php400.00.  One more benefit!  It's way cheaper than your drugstore serums.  Smells good too if you're into that.

Next, Grapeseed oil is like Olive Oil on crack.  It's got all the benefits of olive oil times 10.  So if you already like olive oil on your body or your face, grapeseed oil should work better for you.

Another reason why I like this for oily skin is because it is easily absorbed by the skin, goes on smoothly and penetrates deep into the layer of your skin meaning it won't sit on top of your skin and create an oily film layer.  The viscosity and consistency is very ideal to be applied on your face.  It goes inside, does it's magic there and shows you the result of its hardwork with the suppleness and less oiliness of your skin.  This moisturizes the inner layers of your skin which will trigger a stop in production of oil because your skin is hydrated.  When used as a toner, it can penetrate blocked pores and cleanse breakouts.

Fourth reason is Grapeseed oil is rich in antioxidants which fight free radicals.  I won't go into much detail on this because I've already discussed it very thoroughly on my previous post (Skin Nutrition).  Main point, it helps keep your skin's elasticity and glow.

You ever heard the saying an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure?  With grapeseed oil you can do both.  For the prevention part, it can prevent acne break outs because it is an anti-inflammatory and as previously mentioned can unclog pores.  For the cure part, it can reduce wrinkles and scars because it contains beta carotenes and vitamins C, D and E which, if you read my post on Skin Nutrition, you'll know are the vitamins that perform well when applied on your skin.

Still not convinced?  Take it from Emma Stone who professed to style.com that her beauty secret is grapeseed oil that she gets from the grocery.  She applies it after she showers and uses it throughout the day and night.  And we all know how gorgeous and oil-free Emma's skin is.  Another faithful user is a youtube guru who goes by the name "Faces of Omega."  In one of her videos she shows a picture of her 21 year old self and declares that she is now 53 but her skin is still taut thanks to grapeseed oil.  She admits that there were still some lines but all in all her skin does look great (the lines are probably from her talking too much, her grapeseed oil video took almost 13mins! but she's very entertaining and honest).

Now I'm pretty sure you're a convert and can't wait to try this out.  What you may do is put 2-3 drops on your palm or fingers or cotton ball and spread or apply it over your face.  You can also add this in with your regular moisturizer.  You can do this process at night before you go to sleep or if you're a bit experimental, you can also do this during the day.

If you have oily skin and want to try this, tell me how it goes.  I'd love to hear from you. :)

1 comment:

  1. I have not used grapeseed oil but I recently (the past 3 weeks) have been using coconut oil on my very oily, scarred skin that still gets acne at age 45+ and it has been so amazingly wonderful! Having oily skin made me very leery of using oil to clean oily skin but I figured that I had nothing to loose. My skin looks brighter and the scars have faded. Also, my skin is not as oily/greasy as it was. I got one pimple while using the coconut oil but it faded away within a couple of days and left no scar- that was wonderful considering that ALL pimples historically have left scars on my face. Thank you so much for sharing! I'm going to have to try grapeseed oil next.

    ReplyDelete